What to Do Immediately After a Car Accident
The time frame immediately after a car accident can be a stressful and confusing experience, but there are certain steps that you can take to ensure your safety as well as the safety of your passengers. The following are some of the most important things you should do right after a crash in the Atlanta area:
- Check for injuries. See if anyone in your car (including yourself) has sustained any type of injury. If injuries are serious or could be serious, dial 911 immediately. It’s better to be safe than sorry in these types of situations.
- Get off the road. As soon as is safe, get your vehicle to the side of the road if it’s still in condition to be moved. Place warning triangles or flares to help warn oncoming traffic of your presence.
- Speak with the other driver. See if the driver of the other car has been hurt or needs assistance. Do not, under any circumstance, take responsibility for the crash — this could severely damage your chances at a successful injury claim down the road. Get information from everyone involved in the crash, including names, phone numbers, addresses, make and model of the car, license plate numbers, insurance info and more.
- Document damage. Take pictures or notes of all damage to both vehicles so that you have reliable records when potentially processing a personal injury claim.
- Contact the authorities. You need to file an accident report, so get police to the scene of the accident. Make sure you get info from the officer including the officer’s name, badge number, phone number and other pertinent information.
- Contact your insurance company. Call your insurance company as soon as possible to start processing your claim.
If you or a loved one has been seriously injured in an auto accident, you may need to seek compensation from responsible parties or their insurance companies. Meet with an experienced Atlanta car accident lawyer at McMenamy Law, LLC to learn more.