Georgia DOT Aims to Improve Safety on Rural Roads
The Georgia Department of Transportation is investing $31.5 million to improve northeast Georgia’s dangerous, curvy highways. The effort covers 82 sections of state routes in six counties, which were chosen after DOT engineers traveled highways where crashes during wet weather are common. Key changes include new signage and improved pavement traction.
Ineffective signage and poor road conditions can both be contributing factors in car accidents. Common issues include the following:
- Unclear signage, or no signage at all
- Poorly placed or no traffic signals
- Blind curves
- Uneven shoulders
- Landscaping obstructing vision
- Too much/not enough lighting
State and local government agencies are, for the most part, responsible for designing, constructing and maintaining safe roads. These agencies often work with the federal government to identify problem areas and improve safety, if possible.
Bringing a civil suit against a government agency can be difficult, as these entities enjoy what’s known as “sovereign immunity.” This means that in Georgia, a government agency cannot be sued without its consent. However, a court may allow for a waiver if the agency was very likely negligent in its actions — or lack thereof.
If you’ve been involved in an accident you believe was due to a faulty roadway, it is especially important to document the conditions in case you decide to pursue an injury claim. After addressing any medical treatment required, you and your lawyer should do the following:
- File a police report and mention what you believe caused the accident.
- Take photos of the damage and the surrounding road conditions that led to the accident. Talk to any witnesses, including people who live nearby who may know if that location sees frequent accidents.
- Research public records to determine how often accidents occur in that location, who built the road and its maintenance history.
Seeking compensation from a government agency can be challenging. For the skilled legal guidance you need and deserve, speak with an experienced Atlanta auto accident attorney at McMenamy Law LLC.